Sunday, August 29, 2010

What I Want To Say When I Write About Life

The title of my blog is the World Belongs to You, and the web address is Nothing Is Lacking. These lines were shamelessly stolen from the Tao Te Ching, an ancient Chinese text by the apocryphal author Lao Tzu. The slightly larger context of the chapter from which I took it is this:

Be content with what you have,
Rejoice in how things are.
When you realize nothing is lacking,
The world belongs to you.

Last week, after posting my most recent blog entry, I felt compelled to reflect on what I'm trying to communicate with my blog. I thought a lot about the title, and how it relates to my reasons for writing and sharing thoughts with you.

When I'm operating from my higher sense of self, as far beyond ego and pride as I can get, I want to communicate ideas that are helpful to others in reflecting on their lives. I really do believe that the world belongs to us. For me, this means seeing the world as accurately as we can and taking responsibility as best we can for how we are in the world, both being and doing. I think when we do the best we can by acting with as much courage and love as we can possibly generate, then we have done all that we need to as human beings. I really do love when I live on that edge - trying to be as aware, compassionate, and intentional as I can be. That is the place from which I generate a deep feeling of ownership in the world.

I see the 'nothing is lacking' part of it as a call to remember that we can be fully aware only when we see that the world is what it is. There is nothing lacking - when we feel that something is, it is merely us resisting reality. We can surely work to create a future that is different from the present (more love, more peace, more harmony, fewer potato chips consumed [my own personal journey]), yet we must begin with who we are and what the world is.

For me, this means talking about the shadows and the light that I see around me all the time. In my writing, sometimes I feel an urgency to communicate more of one than the other. In my last post about my perception of our biophysical and cultural homogenization tendencies, I felt compelled by the wilderness to write, so I sat down and banged it out on the keyboard in a few hours one morning. My intention is not to present any one piece of writing as a Complete Version of Reality, but rather to share one interpretation that I have found useful and relevant in learning to accept how I perceive things to be. Someone once told me that it is important to be able to make a case for all viewpoints when considering a contentious course of action, so as to be able to fully understand and empathize with the parties involved. I like the spirit of that approach, and it is what I aim for in my writing.

In looking back over my past few years of blogging, I see many different flavors of writing: poetry and essays, optimism and pessimism, admonishment and uplift. Some people have reacted with strong support to my writing, others with occasional but sharp criticism. Some readers enjoy the variety of styles, while others strongly encourage me to forgo the variety and stick to just one straightforward format. My only defense is to invoke Walt Whitman: "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes." I do not aim to confuse or confound, but rather to shoot from the hip and accept that some pieces will resonate with a reader while others may not.

As I look at where I'm at in life and think about my future writings, I want to continue to cultivate awareness of myself and offer a useful viewpoint on the world to share with you. I aim to keep writing from a place of love, even if it means working through some despair. When I criticize our modern culture, I want to do it from the spirit of Edward Abbey, Derick Jensen, or other naturalists who love the world so much that they weep for the steady loss of natural beauty and diversity. I want to write from a place beyond hope and despair, and instead embrace what is and talk of what we may do differently from now on. How can we accept the crisis around us, and sometimes in us, yet still sing, dance, and enjoy life? It can be done, and we sometimes do it well. I personally need courage to do it, so I write to unburden myself of weighty perceptions, and relish the replies I get from all of you.

I make no claim to Truth. I am for sure only one small voice, trying to be one of many lighthouses and offer what I can to those sailing the seas. I have my own prejudices, predilections, and foibles - forgive me if they rub you the wrong way sometimes. The greatest compliment is simply for you to say, "Hmmm, I like that you're sharing a different perspective. I'll ponder it."

This piece itself is a step in my growth and journey as an amateur writer. I love to write, and have so far to go that I can see my journey stretching beyond the horizon. I do not write from a place of defensiveness, but rather a reflection for myself. Thanks for reading it, and I look forward to writing more.

No comments: