Wednesday, June 21, 2006

hearing the wheels

Sat under a large umbrella along an outdoor pedestrian mall in Boulder today, sipping a smoothie and watching life go by. It was relaxing and sweet to see the dark clouds slowly come over the Front Range of the Rockies, rain for perhaps twenty minutes, and then yield to the sun and leave the fresh rain scent behind. Heard the raindrops, the playful chatter of idle teenagers on summer vacation, the sound of cars nearby, bits of conversations, soft thunder, and running water smoothing over the brick. Humid and familiar...

Had a thought last night that perhaps there is no best purpose or use of my life. Perhaps I can just follow what feels good, keep good intentions at heart, and let go of some of my arbitrary standards that I use to judge my life and the lives of others. Judgement is a tough thing to work on for me. We make small judgements and discriminations all the time in our basic preferences of existence, but then we don't want to be judgemental with other people. It's a fun, long learning process of letting go for me. I once dated a girl, who informed me months after we were no longer dating that I was a much better fit for her than past boyfriends except that I was much more judgemental. Whoa! I've been chewing on that one ever since...

I'm off to hear what is offered to me by the world, as suggested by a few friends. May you be having a good day, and doing a thing or two that challenges your usual routines and comfort zones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

does tooth-brushing with the wrong hand count? =)