Sunday, July 02, 2006

starlight through a working dawn

Small keystrokes softly fill my
dark room,
screen below and spread of
Milky Way above
bending thick and pale across
deepening black sky -
satellites wander to fill it,
beaming our lives full of
distant radio waves
echoing our needs and
wants

But tonight it's windy silence,
sweeping through aspen
silver leaves,
new and delightful like
snow in alpine fields
of green.

Sleepy morning sunrise,
red against distant rainclouds
so close as our mountains
scrape the sky,
I smile rumbling over
dirt roads down to
our house in progress.

Dust clouds float up,
our faithful dog jumps
out of the car,
I slip on my sunglasses
and stretch tired shoulders,
deltoids twitching in
cold bright dawn.

I don't plan to die with a hammer in my hand,
but I know a bit about what John Henry was trying to say.

Sometimes the world is so beautiful it just wells up inside me, and I am overwhelmed by it all. Those days are nice, a counterpoint to the darker ones filled with more doubt and confusion. We can make our lives so good, and create so much satisfaction for ourselves.

No comments: