Wednesday, August 02, 2006

keeping the peace

Hot, humid weather broke this morning. I woke up to a sweet breeze coming in the windows of the cabin and the sound of the rushing, cold creek at the back edge of the property. The rain fell solidly for an hour, keeping the heat from being able to get a hold on today. Ate a fresh, local peach from Ontario for breakfast, thinking about sweet summer foods and feeling connected to the land. Sweet corn, peaches, lettuce, wild blueberries, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchinis of unusual size. Later on they'll be apples and pears and pumpkins, too. It's a nice feeling to be close to the fruits of the earth.

Yesterday I had a great day, remembering that I am only 28 years old. So young, and so priveleged to have done so many things with my life already. I sat with my feet in the water and listened to the sounds of rich life all around me. I've got good friends, good experiences, a loving family, and I finally got a compass (for $4.99 before heading out to the wilderness in a canoe). It's a good start - I hope I will remember this feeling of calm in the years and decades ahead...

No comments: