Friday, January 23, 2015

oh, let's call this one... Something Special.  that's safe.

how can it be
that nothing special saved my life,
that a tailpipe exhales
dervish breath in the whirling cold,
that a bit of coconut in my teeth
is the sum of my consciousness...

what are the implications
of my aspirations
if not the same death as
all sweet moments,
every non-discrete 
conjugal visit of arriving and passing away?

the real tragedy is
being unkind,
robbing the world
like an ATM in the late 80s,
so easy and thoughtless
to take the vitality right out of a situation
a face, sparkling eyes of your child,
a broad white gull just off the coast
hovering above the juicy surf
just for you

knowing this thread,
the real source of joy
easily fits on the head of a pin
with space left for a tastefully modern Ikea chair
and maybe a cappuccino machine
from Italy

my days are thin in number.
let me sing all the bawdy gospel flap
I can, and lay it out
without shame.
these are sacred meetings by the river,
you and your breath.  don't try to
share that truth with anyone -
it's just a heavy box of 
letters and a familiar breeze.

No comments: