Saturday, January 03, 2015

Inspired by my friend, a poem a day

One of my many poet friends is turning out a poem each day in January.  Jealous of that container of practice, and inspired to keep creating things myself, I'm jumping on that wagon.  We'll see how it goes.  Today's poem (unpolished and off-the-cuff, which is part of the challenge I think):



Formulating Winter

Cinnamon streetlight
and quiet function of the first
intrepid flakes,
an ice of gray sky
coming with soft-built dreams.

Uniquely precious - an exhale
upon closing the newspaper
of our national inequity racket,
and a glance down to the half-frozen 
banks of owned water.

Words on a melting winter tongue,
snow catching itself on silver
explanations of my controlled
tripped-over verbosity.

Harmonious advance of white through
the heartfelt pines -
a pocket of Right Now
spatters this tight room
into freer space.

Clutch of afternoon firelight...
only tumbling clowns of old notions
are left to clean
the rubbish of a tent revival rendition 
of my former lives...
vaudeville, burlesque, old whiskey,
a woman leans out the window into the night
(exhaling slowly)
 down to the half-melted river
with bracing, free water.




No comments: